Friday, September 5, 2008

The Rise of Illiberal Democracy

In essence I don't think that all of our problems will be solved if and only if each civilization or each country enacts a democratic government. This relates back to the fact that there is no one ideal democracy, each country and each person within that country would have a different ideal.

I think the future of the world lies in our ability to accept different cultures and essentially different civilizations and learn to tolerate that everyone doesn't need to be JUST like the West. In fact if we the West can encourage liberalism and build relationships with current democratic countries we can show the world and lead by example. By simply invading other countries and forcing our values upon them we are creating friction and hatred through imperialism.

Although I believe the world would be a better place if each civilization adapted a constitutionally liberal government there is no way in my lifetime I would ever live to see that day. It would take many years, generations of good leaders, and perhaps many bloody wars. But more then that people would have to be willing. Because without that change will never come and some counties would stand their ground and insist on their old ways.

So really I guess what I'm discovering is that although I'd like to predict the future will be a better place, each person would have to evolve to become better people too.

1 comment:

Vadim Isakov said...

you are a realist, Moira!)))